Join our 2018 Run/Walk for Clean Water
at the Illinois Marathon!
5K | 10K | Half | Full | Relay | Youth Run
April 26-28, 2018
Walk or Run. It’s easy. It’s fun. It’s important.
- Save wetlands and wildlife by reconnecting rivers to their natural floodplains. Wetlands provide critical wildlife corridors that will be essential to wildlife if they are to survive and adapt to a changing climate.
- Keep toxic coal ash out of our water by advocating for the strongest coal ash rules possible and demanding polluters clean up and remove coal ash dumps near our rivers.
- Help farmers be better stewards of the land by advancing sustainable farming practices to reduce one of the biggest contributors to water pollution – runoff from agriculture fields.
What is our Run/Walk for Clean Water fundraiser?
Our 2018 Run/Walk for Clean Water is a fundraiser for Prairie Rivers Network associated with the Illinois Marathon. You walk or run in one of the races at the Illinois Marathon and ask for donations from family and friends to sponsor your charity walk/run. It is that easy. You can walk the 5K or 10K or run the 1/2 marathon or full marathon.
But I don’t like to ask for money, isn’t that hard to do?
It’s easy! At the 2017 Illinois Marathon, our top individual fundraiser, Karen, was proud to wear her Run for Clean Water shirt while she walked the 5K with her daughter sporting our I heart Clean Water shirt. The year before, a group of kids from Urbana who loved Monarch butterflies and wanted to help expand the dwindling habitat of pollinators like Monarchs, raised over $1,000 for their Miles for Monarch 5K run. And we have the Earth Care team from the FPCU that have been participating for years. Look at all the people who have participated in this fundraiser and helped raise over $35,000 for clean water, healthy rivers, and wildlife:
Prairie Rivers Network is a registered 501 (c) (3) in Illinois. Donations are tax deductible and 100% of donations received go towards our clean water programs in Illinois NOT to overhead for the race.
Benefits of walking/running for Prairie Rivers Network
- Discounted race registration fee when you first sign up to be a fundraiser for Prairie Rivers Network
- Membership in Prairie Rivers Network
- Team t-shirt when you raise at least $100
- Raise $250 or more and receive a complimentary ticket to our Annual Dinner
- Prize awarded to biggest fundraiser
- Making a difference by supporting a great cause: clean water
What if I don’t want to fundraise? No problem. You can just make a donation.
Is it hard to fundraise? No! Start out by asking for small donations from your family, friends, and co-workers. Ask your workplace to sponsor you or match donations raised. Post on your facebook page, be creative. You can do it! Don’t worry about asking for money, people like to support someone they know and support a good cause. All you have to do is ask.
What is the fundraising minimum? The goal is for every runner to raise at least $250, but it is not required.
What happens if I do not reach the $250 goal? Nothing. You are not required to raise that amount. We hope you are motivated to help us protect Illinois rivers for today and for the future.
What happens with the money I raise? When someone donates through your fundraising page, 100% of their tax deductible donation received goes directly to Prairie Rivers Network, a registered 501 (c) 3 non-profit with a 50+ year history of protecting our environment.
Will donors get overrun with email and solicitations? No. Members of Prairie Rivers Network will receive:
- 1 or 2 emails per month containing our e-newsletter and important action alerts;
- 3 print newsletters per year;
- invitations to special events; and
- 1 or 2 letters per year saying how great they are for protecting our rivers and streams.
Can I still get a discount if I already registered for the Illinois Marathon? No.
I have a question about running and/or training – Call or email Prairie Rivers Network’s experienced marathoner Elliot Brinkman 217-344-2371 x202 or ebrinkman [at] prairierivers.org.
I have questions about registration and/or fundraising page – Call or email Vickie Nudelman 217-344-2371 x200 or vnudelman [at] prairierivers.org
Prairie Rivers Network thanks all for our business sponsors for their donations and helping to make our community a better place to live.
Additional Business Sponsors
Would you like to sponsor Prairie Rivers Network?
Prairie Rivers Network invites you to support clean water and healthy rivers by becoming a business member of Prairie Rivers Network. Business sponsors can be recognized at our Annual Dinner, Wild & Scenic Film Festival, and Illinois Marathon – Run/Walk for Clean Water – charity running team.
For more information, please view our Business Sponsor Form, or contact Vickie Nudelman at 217.344.2371 or vnudelman [at] prairierivers.org.